Do you want a State Senator who listens to the community? Inspires people? Fights for constituents? Takes on special interests?
If you do then you want to speak to me about my candidacy for the 16th Senatorial District.
I can no longer sit idly by and watch the gridlock that prevents the Legislature from solving State problems. I decided to run for the State Senate because we need people who have the experience, the courage, and the will to address those problems and find solutions.
- Our transportation system needs updating. Companies considering moving to Connecticut cite transportation as a reason not to come.
- Business demands a well-educated workforce, and our educational institutions need to match curriculum with needs in the community to foster job creation.
- Health care is a right and not a privilege and no family should worry about going bankrupt to pay their medical bills.
- Banks should be encouraged to invest in local communities.
- Workers in both the public and private sector need to be treated with respect and provided with a fair wage.
- We must continue protecting the environment, promoting renewable energy and energy conservation.
- Economic development on the state and local level is needed to grow our tax base.
I was the first person in my family to attend college, graduating with a degree in Dental Hygiene Education. My love of public service brought me from private practice dental hygiene to public health, where I served children in a school-based dental clinic. Seeing so many children with unmet dental needs, I tried writing to public agencies to help expand services. I was met with many obstacles and many people saying “no”.
I decided that the only way to change health policy in the state was to get elected to public office. I served 9 terms as the State Representative in the 89thDistrict (Bethany, Cheshire, Prospect). I served on the Public Health Committee where hospital quality, dental access, Medicare and HMOs were regulated for the benefit of Connecticut’s residents. I worked hard while I served on the Insurance Committee – making sure that there was equal coverage for intravenous and oral chemotherapy. I was co-chair of the Energy and Technology Committee for four years – passionately working for fair rates for all consumers in our State. I worked to develop renewable energy and conservation strategies.
Since leaving that office, people still call me when there is a problem that needs to be solved. “Vickie will take care of it” is what I am often told. That is what I will continue to do as your representative in the State Senate.
My ties to our community are deep-seated. My familiarity with our community is strong. My commitment to our community is filled with passion. I have lived in Waterbury and Prospect. Members of my immediate family live in Wolcott. When my parents left Waterbury, they moved to Southington. Every Sunday my family gathered in Southington for our traditional family dinner. Fourth of July is spent with my family in Wolcott and Christmas is always at my home in Prospect.
I represented the good people in Prospect and Cheshire for eighteen years.
With every vote I have cast, I have upheld those principles of honoring family and community which were taught to me by my parents. If you want a State Senator who will work for you, listen to you, and is not afraid to speak truth to power, then you want me to be your State Senator in the 16th District (Cheshire, Prospect, Southington, Wolcott and Waterbury).
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to speak to me personally. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!!